Duchy League update

THE weather relented a little to finally allow some games to go ahead although many grounds still remain very wet.

In Division One, Altarnun have slipped a little too close to the relegation positions so a 2-1 win at Grampound is just what the doctor ordered for the New Year. This was truly a game of two halves, with both sides very rusty after a long break without a game.

Altarnun opened the scoring when Grampound gave away the ball around halfway and a quick break was finished by Ian Ellacott. The visitors then doubled their lead when a shot hit the Grampound keeper and deflected for an own goal. Grampound upped their game after the break. Ryan Morcom was fouled in the area and Ryan Orchard steeped up to hit home the penalty kick. Two minutes later and Grampound appealed for a second penalty for a handball on the line. The referee was unsighted and the appeal turned down allowing Altarnun to hang on for the win.

Premier Sixes and St Columb Major drew two all with a crowd nearing 200 watching from around three sides of Tretherras 3G. Tom Ball put St Columb ahead. Scott Bourne equalised with a fine 20-yard shot.

Sixes fell asleep early in the second half and Dan Ball headed Major back in front. The home team put an extra man up front but Andy Scott pulled off some incredible saves to help restore the visitors’ lead. Just as it looked as if Scott’s heroics would claim the points, Bourne scored his second, again from twenty yards, five minutes from time.

North Hill had a good win in Division Two beating Calstock 5-2 with birthday boy Jason Ridgment bagging a brace. Blair Vanstone, Chris Rockell and Dan Gregory completed the home tally with Berryn Phillips and Lee Webb replying for Calstock.

St Breward and Lifton fought out a goalless draw. A heavy pitch and lack of fitness after the long break saw both sides run out of steam around the hour mark in a dull game.

Delabole United moved to within eight points of the top two in Division Three after their 3-1 win against High Street. The visitors scored with a Luke King brace and a Jordan Blanchard goal. Stuart Kesson-Smith replied for High Street.

There are difficult times ahead for the young Kilkhampton team after losing their Division Four match at Pensilva 9-1. They did take an early lead through Regan O’Brien but, from there, their inexperience told and despite battling to the final whistle they suffered a heavy defeat.

Matt Trevorrow and Marc Tuck put Pensilva ahead by half time with the wheels coming off after the restart. Tuck scored his second, Mike Rendle struck four goals with Cian Clarkson, and Jon Firth coming off the bench to score within minutes to complete the rout.

Padstow United beat St Dennis reserves 2-1 on a sticky pitch at Jury Park. James Carne capitalised on a defensive mix up to tap in from close range after 15 minutes to put the visitors ahead. Padstow came out after the break and played much better football with young full back Matt Alcock the pick of their players.

Good work down the right by Anthony Murt set up Rob Elliott for the equaliser on 70 minutes, and more good football in midfield led to the winner with Elliott netting his second goal.

In Division Five, Travis Smith scored a hat-trick as Looe Town reserves beat Boscastle reserves 4-1. Eric Sutherland was the other home scorer.

Wadebridge Town remain adrift at the bottom after losing 4-3 at home to Lanreath. Chris Spiller, Paul Dingle and Jamie Chapman scored for Wadebridge. Lanreath claimed the points after goals from Andy Livingstone, Steve Crumpler, Rory Lewis and a Dan Cornford own goal.

Boscastle progressed to the next round of the Bodmin Sports Trophies League Cup after thrashing Rame Peninsula 9-3. Danny Piper scored five goals with Rob Heal grabbing a brace. Sam Haddy and James Bosley completed the Boscastle scoring with Connor McHale, Richard Gibson and Luke Robinson replying for Rame.