The Crown Prosecution Service has explained why it dropped the charges against a 17-year-old previously accused of the murder of Lucas Underwood.
Mr Underwood, 18, died of injuries sustained after an altercation on Wallace Road in the early hours of Sunday, July 23.
In the days immediately after the incident, police had confirmed that a 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been charged with murder, while three people had additionally been arrested by Devon and Cornwall Police.
The three comprised of an 18-year-old from Bodmin, arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary, a 27-year-old man from Redruth arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender and perverting the course of justice and an 18-year-old man, also from Redruth, arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary and assisting an offender.
After the incident, the 17-year-old who was charged with murder was remanded in custody awaiting a court date.
However, it emerged on Tuesday, October 17 that the individual charged with murder was released after a review of evidence by the Crown Prosecution Service in conjunction with Devon and Cornwall Police.
At the time of confirming the release, a spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said: “Following the death of Lucas Clive David Underwood, 18, in the early hours of Sunday, July 23, a 17-year-old male from Bodmin was charged with murder and remanded in custody.
“After lengthy consultation with the CPS, they have decided not to proceed with the prosecution and the 17-year-old has been released.
“The victim’s family and witnesses have been updated of this decision and continued support remains in place.”
The Crown Prosecution Service has revealed that it opted not to proceed with prosecution due to there being no longer a realistic prospect of conviction after reviewing all available evidence.
A CPS spokesperson said: “Following careful review of all the available evidence, we stopped proceedings as there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.
“We understand how difficult this decision will be for the family of Mr Underwood and our thoughts are with them at this time.”
A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police further confirmed that the other individuals arrested after the incident remained on police bail, adding: “An 18-year-old man from Bodmin was arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary, a 27-year-old man from Redruth was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender and perverting the course of justice and an 18-year-old man, also from Redruth was arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary and assisting an offender.
“All three men remain on police bail and the investigation is ongoing.”